About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Thursday, March 20, 2014

A Lecture

I got a lecture from my daughter last night.
She wanted to know why I had not been blogging lately.
She knew why I had stopped for a couple of weeks, but did not know why I had not started up again.

I could not 100% tell her why.
It has been a hard past 6 months starting with the loss of my Mom.
The  family drama that went on after that.
A busy Holiday season.
Bookkeeping and corporate taxes.
A family and mothers fears of her son joining the military.
An unbelievably crazy winter with many missed work days.

Then, to top everything off, the loss of my dear father-in-law this past week.
Such a very sweet, tender heart man who loved his wife, sons, and grandchildren so very much.
One of the best father-in-laws there ever was.
He will be dearly missed.

So, as I said before, my daughter lectured me about getting back to writing my blog.
Reminding me about how much I enjoyed writing it and taking pictures.
She told me to write again to help me get out of my funk.

I have been warned....
Warned that if, in a couple of days, I don't start blogging again I will be getting another lecture.

Okay....so.....when exactly did I turn into the kid and her the mother?

I don't want another lecture.
I don't like them.
I want to get out of this funk.
So, I am going to make an attempt to get back to blogging.

My daughter also wants me to get back to telling my grooming stories, not just grooming how-to's.
She wants me to tell the stories of some of our crazy grooming days and grooming customers.
I have been told that my blog became boring after I stopped talking about customers.
We will see, I have no desire for a customer to miss understand, or get offended by something I write and get upset.

Of course, that is if anyone is still reading my blog. lol

Here is a before and after from my day today.

Here is a Yorkie/Poo.
Yes, I said Yorkie/Poo.
And yes, I corrected the owners.
They had been told by the rescue that he was a Yorkie Poodle mix.

Oh come on now, you can see the Yorkie in him, can't you?






I wish I had gotten a better picture of his head.

I swear it didn't look chopped up over the ear when I was finished like it does in the picture.

I know it didn't, even though just looking at this picture makes me have this over whelming feeling that I want comb out the head to check the dog again. lol








32 comments:

  1. I love hearing your stories and always look forward to your blog. It's nice to know other groomers deal with similar issues. It just seems to make the frustrating one's a bit funny when you know others are dealing with the same. I'm sorry to hear about your losses and I hope that this blog can be a therapeutic thing for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tiny Kitty,
      This blog IS therapeutic for me.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back :) I'm sorry about your father in law! :'( prayers and hugs for you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your father in law... You've had a rough time lately....I love the blog and feel like we have the same client some days ..;). Hang in there....
    Lory

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of our humane society. Anything over 40 lbs with stand up ears is a "shepherd mix" and anything black is a "lab mix". Anyways, I'm sorry you're in a funk. I stumbled across your blog very recently and have read it through front to back (once for the stories, and once for the comments!) and I love it. I do miss your owner stories, but I don't think your how to's are boring! It makes me want to groom my own dogs better (and make sure they aren't secretly matted.) -I'm 99% positive that the last time I took my mini aussie in to get shaved [I KNOW DON'T YELL AT ME] that they would have had to shave him anyways because he was a huge, unbrushed, fluff ball- Anyways, good to see you again Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara,
      I have to say, I think that all rescue workers and Vets need to take a course on recognizing breeds.

      Delete
  5. I still read your blog; and I always enjoy your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must keep the blogging up - I love reading them and looking at your make overs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alpoochinogrooming,
      I love looking at before and afters too.

      Delete
  7. Hurray! I'm still reading! And very happy to have you back, if blogging makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unrelated to this post: As someone unfamiliar with poodles I've been reading your "St" as "Saint" and finally started googling because I had never heard of that, and was pretty sure you didn't own a mixed breed. It took me longer than it should have to realize you mean STANDARD. Anyways. Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha....almost every time I abbreviate Standard I wonder if people think saint.

      Delete
  9. As a non groomer who is forever taking my dog TO the groomers (we are owned by a mini schnauzer).... I love hearing about the crazy customers and pets. I'm just glad I have a groomer i love, and im sure she has horror stories too ;) just hoping they are not about me LOLOL

    so yes, keep with the nutso pets and people :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a smart girl your daughter. We've missed you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back, Lisa! You are missed, clearly.
    Sorry for your loss. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law and your recent hardships. I discovered your blog a couple months ago, and I've read through every single post! I love your writing style, how much you care for your furry friends, and your hilarious stories. I never have to see a groomer (since I have a French bulldog), but reading your blog makes me want to get a floofy dog with tons of hair, just so that I can meet a caring groomer like yourself. Your blog makes me smile and laugh, so I hope your daughter lectures you every time you stop blogging. Your blog really is a wonderful pleasure to read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for blogging again and thanks to your daughter for lecturing you. I know all about the rough times and mothers dying, and it is hard. My mum died last January and her one wish was that I got out of government service and do something with animals again. I am sure she would be happy I now have a career as a dog groomer and am not as stressed out as before. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for your loss also Bernadette.
      I am sure that your Mom is watching over you and enjoying seeing you groom. :)

      Delete
  14. so sorry to hear about your mom and father in law. i lost my mom too. nothing tears up a heart like loss of loved ones...:(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a problem and I'm hoping you can help. I have a 3 month old pom just got him a week ago and I didn't realize how ignorant I was about dogs until I had one for the first time. I worry about everything and would never knowingly do something to hurt my little boy but I made a mistake and I want your advise. I live in Texas and it's getting close to summer as far as the temperature goes so I thought I would give my little one a hair cut to help with the heat. I would like to reiterate that I would never knowingly hurt my pom but I wasn't aware of the fact that his hair might not grow back. I went a little over board and cut him pretty short and I'll be the first to say i didn't do a good job. I've trimmed (sheered) my cats before and never had a problem so I thought it would be fine but now I'm stuck with a pom that looks more like a chi... I won't ever cut his fur again now that I know not to but that doesn't change my current situation... is there anything I can do other than wait and hope that I just cut his puppy fur?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      First congratulations on your new Pom.
      I am afraid that you are going to have to sit back and wait. Some Poms grow back quickly and fine, some do not not. Hopefully since your Pom is so young, the hair will grow back in decent shape. I think that he should have a lot of his coat back by the fall. I would still brush him even while he is short so that he is used to the brush once his hair has grown back. Just brush him lightly while he is still short.
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete
  16. So sorry for your losses! I for one enjoy your blog very much, and I learn so much. You're a great groomer (Jessica too!)

    ReplyDelete