About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Thursday, July 5, 2012

"That Was The Best Grooming She Ever Had!"

Isn't it nice when you have a new customer pick up their dog and say that to you?

Or, a new customers comes in for a second grooming and tells you that the last time that you groomed their dog, "it was the best grooming he ever had!"

Then there are times like today.

When one of your regulars comes in.
A dog that you have been grooming regularly (like every five weeks) for a few years.
"The last grooming was the best she has ever looked!"

Really?

You mean she didn't look her best all of those other times that I have groomed her? :/

So you look at the file.
Did I do something different last time?
Leave her longer?
Take her shorter?
Do just a bath and trim?

I am pretty sure that I did what I always do.

I must have done something different, right?

Nope.

Same thing that I always do.
Every single time.
 
Maybe the Poodle just had a really good hair day that day. :)

I do get that  comment once and a while from regular customers.
The 'the groom was great last time'.
I just smile and say thank you.
I always wonder what it was that I did different that time that I apparently hadn't done all of the other times that I groomed the dog.

When my husband came in and told me what the Poodle owner said, my daughter turned and looked at me with a fake sad face and said; "Oh Mom, I am sorry." 

It is kind of a joke that we have.
Because that simple compliment can turn into a pain in the a**.

Why?

Because, you spend the next few grooms trying to live up to that compliment.
Because, when they come in for the next couple of grooms, you will hear; "it wasn't quite as nice as the time before."

I am thoroughly convinced that my human customers just want to drive me batty.
Yep.
I truly believe that. :)


Happy Grooming, MFF

3 comments:

  1. OH wow.. I HATE it when someone says that to me.. Kiss of death, I'll never get it right again. Even though I have done it the same way for 13 1/2 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about those Wifes who call and talk about what kind of haircut they want, but then the husband drops off and tell you, "I hope you do a good job." HAHA, that happened to me and I said, "I hope I do too!" It was a shih tzu, basically after asking the wife questions, a lot of questions over the phone, this is what she wanted: #4 a.o poodle face, trim ears and tail about 1 inch off. I think that is the problem with some groomers, the do exactly what the owner says, IE. I want my dog shaved! The groomers shave it with a #10 and the owner freaks. BUT then there are groomers like YOU and ME, who know that the owners do not REALLY want them shaved so we ask more questions until we get exactly what they want.. HAHA THE LIFE OF GROOMERS!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not kidding. Sometimes it is like pulling teeth to find out what they really want do with their dog. I have actually had a couple of owners over the years that I could have sworn were being evasive with their answers on propose, like they were playing around or testing me. I DON'T play games. I'll harp on you till I get my answers. Then I stand there and tell them exactly what I am going to do and get there okay. They are not coming back and telling me that I did do what they wanted. :)
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete