About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Really!?!?

Hi 
I am back. :)

I was in Tennessee visiting family for a few days.

Unfortunately, my stepfather doesn't trust the internet and would not let me use his internet to update my blog.

Oh well...to each their own.
It hurt my head too much trying to explain to an 84 year old that blogger was not going to cause a virus in his internet. :(

On to grooming.

Last week I was reading an issue of 'Grooming Business'.
They always have a section on new products.

I came across a picture, that at first I wasn't sure what it was I was looking at.
The title over top of the picture was 'Fuss-Free Grooming'.
I still wasn't quite sure what I was looking at until I read the information beside the picture.

I could not believe what I was reading and seeing.

Here have a look and read for yourself.




I am sure that anyone who has been reading my posts has noticed that I don't use loops when I groom.
I am not against loops when used correctly, they are just not for me, but are you kidding me?

Really!
Loops on an apron?
Strap the dog to yourself?

Can you imagine an owner using this apron and the dog freaking out?
The loops cutting into his belly and neck as the dog panics and struggles to get away.
How in the world can you see what you are doing with the dog strapped against you?

I have the same questions for the loop system that I have seen at Groom Expo.
The one I am talking about is the loop system that runs across the top of the grooming table, and has two loops, or a body harness that the dog is suspended from while being groomed.

How in the world do you groom a dog that is suspended from a body harness?
I would also be worried that a dogs belly could be injured when a loop is put around the belly.

Ironically enough, I had a customer in the same day that I saw this picture.
The groomer that she had been taking her dog to used the two loop system.
Her dog had been injured the last two times that they had groomed it.
That was why she wasn't going back and tried us.
The owner was told that her dog struggled too much in the loops and that is why his leg was injured twice.

???????

My daughter groomed the Shih-poo.
He did not move on her table.
He was very pleasant to groom with no loop.

Why would you use two loops on a dog if it isn't needed?

Years ago, shortly after I opened my shop a man came into my shop to try to sell me a system that would help keep dogs still on my table.
I took one look at that thing and told my husband to tell the man to leave and that the thing he was trying to sell was ridiculous.

Let me see if I can describe it in words.

It was a flat plastic base that was about half the size of an average grooming table.
Attached to the plastic base were four round cylinders that were about an half an inch tall.
Attached to the cylinders were straps.
You were supposed to place the dogs feet, one in each cylinder, and then place the strap over the feet to hold the dog still.

Good grief, even after all of this time, I still can't believe that that man brought that contraption in my shop and really expected me to buy it.
The thing that bothers me the most is that someone may have actually tried to use that thing.

No, I can't remember how much he wanted for it.
I have never seen that contraption again.....thankfully!

Really, I am not against using a single loop when needed.
I also think that the 'Groomers Helper' is a great tool for groomers who work alone, and have no one to help them hold an unruly dog.
 I have used a loop in the past when I needed to, they just get in my way. :)
I just worry about the people who don't use them correctly...

...and I don't like the straps on the apron.

I tried to go to the website shown in the description to see more information.

There was none, so hopefully people won't be able to get them. :/

Happy Grooming, MFF

5 comments:

  1. There's actually a You-Tube video on it. (I also think it's crazy. The dog is kinda freaking out trying to get off the lady's lap)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlNBILM4nGE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled across your blog by searching images of ticks. I saw the post on the tick you found on the ear of a dog. The same tick was on my puppy. For some reason, I became fascinated with this blog. I've read every post. I wish you were about an hour closer to me! I want to get my puppy groomed for the first time, and from what I have read I am able to see that you are highly trained and highly experienced. Not because I myself am trained in the area of grooming, but because I can tell when a person speaks in a manner that says "I know what I'm doing!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lord, have mercy! What a silly idea. What do you do when you want to do the OTHER side of the dog? Take it out of that crazy thing and turn it around???? I don't get it. Clearly somebody did not research this contraption before it made it to market, and obviously did not consult with ANY professional groomers, as I'm sure none of us who do this every day would even consider such a a thing. Nuts!!! Karen from NJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Yeah.. that really wouldn't work.. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura,
    I watched the video, (thank you for the link) I will admit that the apron was not as bad as I pictured it, but I still could see some serious freak outs from some dogs being clipped to this apron. I think that it worked best on the floor.


    Thank you amberdineen,
    For the nice comments. Thank you for reading the blog. I am sure that you will be able to find a good groomer. Go with your instinct. A good groomer will take the time to answer your questions and talk to you about your puppy. You also want to try to find a groomer that is experienced with grooming puppies. It is very important for the very first grooming to be as pleasant as possible. I am sorry that you don't live closer too.


    Hi Karen,
    I did wonder if the person who came up with the idea was a groomer.


    Hi D,
    You summed it up beautifully. lol

    Lisa, MFF

    ReplyDelete