About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Different Looks of a Schnauzer

Pet Schnauzers come in so many different shapes and sizes.
Some are slim, some are on the heavy side.
Some coats are very wiry, wispy, and thin, some are very thick and cottony.

 Almost all of them come in matted.



 Most pet owners want the pet Schnauzer Style Cut.

Some owners only want the furnishings neatened up.














Some owners like the furnishings scissored up. 

















Some owners don't want any hint of a skirt.













Some owners like the skirt left long.











Other owners want a short but not shaved cut.

The body on this dog was clipped with a 3 3/4 blade and scissored to neaten.
The Schnauzer's head was clipped with a #5F blade against the grain, and blending into the neck.

 







Some other owners ask for the body to be clipped short and neat.









The faces can also be clipped in different ways.









A long and full Schnauzer beard.










This is the same dog as in the above picture with the beard shortened a little.
















This owner wanted a very short Schnauzer beard.










I don't have any pictures of  Schnauzer's that have had their beards cut completely off, but here is a picture of a Schnoodle with no eyebrows or beard.








This guy comes close to what a Schnauzer would look like without the eyebrows and beard.









 Every once in a while I get a customer that doesn't want the face to look like a Schnauzer at all.









This little guy gets his head scissored round, and the hair on the ears scissored to just below the leather.















Some owners want the eyebrows long.













Some owners want the eyebrows short.

Some owners cut the eyebrows themselves, then expect me to fix them.









It is very rare when I get a Schnauzer owner that wants the real Schnauzer Show cut.
The owner always has some special way that they want the face to look, or how they want the furnishings to look.

That's okay, because I am a Professional Pet Groomer.
I work for the owner, and if they bought a Schnauzer, but don't want it to look like a Schnauzer, that's up to them.  :)
I gave up trying to figure out pet owners a long time ago.

Happy Grooming, MFF

7 comments:

  1. The very last photo is my personal favorite, I do love a big bushy traditional schnauzer head, but I do love for a pet that very last photo. I had a customer in 2005 ask for the cheek to be layered and tight, ever since then 90% of my customers want it. I'm not a HUGE fan of it, it looks weird to me still, but it's growing on me. I had a customer see a picture of one on my facebook and I was so embarrassed, he actually asked me "You won't really make my dog look like that, will you?" I was red in the face with a very quiet, "no". What I have to say I do prefer on schnauzers is a cocker style skirt instead of the traditional schnauzer style, the mild arc appeals to me, it's just a cleaner line in my mind. I really just do whatever I'm told, if the customer is happy then I'm happy. I just don't want to hear anything from another customer that says "Take it low... but not short" first time I heard that I made a face like the dogs do when I whistle, my head tilted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i want a minature snauchzer with the teddybear cut

      Delete
  2. have you seen the asian styles? very cute and different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Taby,
      Yes, I have seen them. I also did a post about those styles. I love them. :)

      http://petgroomingthegoodthebadthefurry.blogspot.com/2013/02/they-finally-got-here.html

      Lisa, MFF

      Delete
  3. Am rapt to find this page as I learnt to groom dogs a couple of months ago and know it is a long learning process with every different breed, Schnauzer being one of them; I my self have a wee girl mini schnauzer and my parents have her two sons and my husband and I have always groomed them to our familys liking so when I was getting the training I had to really understand the traditional schnauzer cut! I do have my 3 schnauzers in my business add and the amount of people that have rang and want their schnauzers to look like mine and not the traditional look is amazing!! and this page goes to show me that there are man y different looks to a schnauzer ( thank god! )I will be book marking this page for future reference as in 3 weeks I have 5 mini schnauzers booked in and tomorrow I am grooming my parents two!! Thank you heaps :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've never been able to find a groomer locally who even knew what the show cut was and not one knew how to strip (we actually got asked "what is that?"). We gave up looking and have mangled his coat all on our own since. ;)

    ReplyDelete