About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The True Meanings of What Owners Say

 Sometimes owners don't say what they really mean.

~"He does not have any knots in his coat."
True meaning:  He has not been groomed in 6 months, and is matted from his head to his toes.

~ "I brush him all of the time."
True meaning:  I run the brush down the middle of his back once a week.

~ "Can you fit him in? He is small and easy to do."
True meaning:  He is a 40lb, matted, Tasmanian devil.

~ "Take him a tad shorter than last time."
True meaning:  Clip him the same length as the last time, because if you go any shorter, I'll forget that I told you to take him shorter and I'll freak out.

~ "Do whatever you think he needs, your the professional."
True meaning:  You better read my mind and do exactly what I am picturing in my head.

~ "Let's try something new this time."
True meaning:  You better do close to the same groom, because I won't remember this conversation, and the next time I come in, I will complain and ask you why you groomed him differently.

~ "Call my cell when he is finished."
True meaning:  I won't have my phone on... I won't answer it... My voice mailbox will be full.

~(9am appointment arrives at 9:20) "Can you have him done by 11am, I have another appointment across town and I have to have him no later than 11am, or I can't keep this appointment."
True meaning:  My plans will change...I won't bother to call you...my dog will sit there waiting till 2pm when I finally decide to come pick him up.

~ "Take him as short as you can get him."
True meaning:  Leave at least 3 inches on him.

~ "I have to cancel my dogs 10am appointment today, (it's 10:10am) he is sick.
True meaning:  I made other plans, and never bothered to call you.

~ "I am sorry I am late for his appointment, the traffic was bad."
True meaning:  I wasn't in any hurry to get out of bed this morning.

~ "I am sorry he pooped in your lobby, he must be nervous. He hates coming here."
True meaning:  I just put him in the car, and didn't bother to see if he had to go to the bathroom.

~ "He doesn't bite."
True meaning: He doesn't bite unless you brush him...bathe him...dry him...clip his nails...ect.

~ "All of the other groomers say that he is great to groom."
True meaning:  Watch out! He has been thrown out of every other grooming shop.

~ "I know that you said you would call when he was finished, but I was in the area, and decided to stop in and see if he was done."
True meaning:  I thought that if I just walked in, he would magically be done.

Of course not everything my customers say means something else, but  I have found that a lot of times it does.
I have gotten very good at reading my customers minds over the years.

Sometimes, they still manage to surprise me.

Happy Grooming, MFF

6 comments:

  1. do groomers take care of cats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Not all groomers groom cats, but yes, there are groomers out there that will groom cats. You need to call around and ask. You can also ask your Vet if they would recommend a good cat groomer to you.
    Lisa, MFF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post. It is very helpful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Renee,
    You're Welcome! Glad to be of help. :)
    Lisa, MFF

    ReplyDelete