About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Monday, August 9, 2010

The Reason Why I Groom

This is "Precious". She is one of the many reasons I Love grooming. "Precious" is a rescue. Her new Mom is a first time pet owner.
Her owner came to my shop very upset. "Precious" had just been thrown out of another shop for snapping at the groomer.
Call me crazy, but I love the challenge of working with fear biters. 
I love showing them that grooming can be a nice experience.
Her new owner was so upset and scared that no one would groom her new dog, that "Precious" was feeding off her owners fear.
After getting the owner calm, I spent time down on the floor getting "Precious" to trust me and come to me.
She never snapped, but was scared to death.

After a lot of talking and petting, we went straight to the tub.
Dirt, matts and all.
Yes, I bathe every dog before I clip.

After 3 baths, two with Bright White shampoo, followed up with a 5 minute soak in a medicated shampoo, "Precious" was already feeling better.

I spent time showing her the dryer, and letting her get used to the sound of it.
I hugged her close, and started working those matts away from her skin.



All fluffy and dry now, the matts have been blown away from the skin.

I can now easily and safely get a #4F blade through
the coat.

I still stop often to pet, hug, and give her a lot of encouragement.
My goal is to make the pet feel safe, and maybe even come to like being groomed.


"Precious" was great for her grooming.
She was relaxed.
She was not shaking anymore.
She gave me my favorite reward...
Kisses!






"Precious" did great!
She feels good, and so do I!
Grooming can be very rewarding.




"Precious" is now groomed every 6 weeks.
Her Mom takes such good care of her, that she now gets a hand scissored Puppy Cut.
"Precious" is one of my favorites, and now pulls her Mom in the door to come see me.

The Groom pictured here:
Body: #4F Blade
Legs: #4F Blade
Head: #3F on top of head, scissor to shape the rest of the head and beard.
Ears: Dematted and scissored to shape.

Happy Grooming, MFF

1 comment:

  1. i just got my groomer certificate, and i decide to read all your blog, from bottom to top

    ReplyDelete